I posted my initial thoughts about For Greater Glory yesterday, but there were a few more developments to share. The biggest concern was taking my children (from 10-15) to see the film with me. This was done after a great deal of prayer and research. While there is some action violence, there is very little blood.
The biggest concern was the torture of the child in the movie, and that, too was handled well (no big blood, and none of the typical “horror movie” type of gore, most was implied).
Ultimately, I think it was worthwhile as my youngest, who I was most worried about said to his siblings,” would you stand up for Jesus like that boy did, or take the easy way out. I think that I would be like that little boy.”
I can’t think of a better way to teach that. In this world, where there is so much indifference and relevance, it is hard to think about things like this. The Christero War was in the last century, the century in which most of us were born. And it appears that our government, at least for a time, supported the Mexican government’s position on this war.
We have to teach our children to live according to their Faith, and let their Faith lead them. While it is unlikely that they will face something as dire as this, there is the possibility that they will face some repercussions. Just think about how pro-life demonstrators are treated by the pro-choice forces. Think, also, about how the live action people will be vilified by planned parenthood and some media people
Over 50, 000 people (at last count) came to stand up for religious freedom (the same issue, by the way in the Cristero War), and few, if any secular media covered it. The March for Life has over 300,000 people, mostly children and adolescents, come out every year. It is the largest Washington protest annually, but gets no coverage.
People who express their faith are asked to go away, sometimes fired, sometimes marginalized as crazy, sometimes ridiculed.
My children are made fun of for attending Mass at an “Authentically Catholic” parish. And if you believe in the doctrine of the Catholic Church (the only example I know about), you are frequently asked to stay quiet. Many do not want to hear the truth…..but want to hear what makes them comfortable.
No, Government forces are not shooting bullets at us….but what is worse?
Viva Christo Rey!
- “For Greater Glory” Portrays the Cristeros’ Fight for Religious Freedom (thenewamerican.com)
- Mexico’s Forgotten Pain: The Persecution of Catholics and the Cristero War (catholicgene.wordpress.com)
- The Cristeros and Us (firstthings.com)
- For Greater Glory: The Cristiada and Us (deaconjohnspace.wordpress.com)
- For Greater Glory:The True Story of Cristeros…How Strong Is Your Faith?? (littlebytesnews.blogspot.com)
- Some might call the timing of ‘For Greater Glory’ (which opens Friday) providential. I wouldn’t argue with them… (ncregister.com)
- “For Greater Glory” is the inspirational, must-see film of 2012 (illinoisreview.typepad.com)